It is of utmost importance to ensure that, you have bought genuine Windows software rather than a counterfeit one. This is because, it is only with the genuine Windows software that, you can access services Microsoft offers like free updates, technical support from the excellent Microsoft support team etc. But, it is really hard to differentiate between a genuine and counterfeit Windows in a glance. However, there are certain methods to ensure that you have bought a copy of genuine Windows software.
Guidelines to check whether your Microsoft product is genuine
- First of all, closely inspect the Windows CD packaging. Microsoft usually uses a cardboard box for packaging purposes, with a “Certificate of Authenticity” sticker pasted onto it. The box will also have some advertising features of the software and should look like it has been professionally printed.
- Now, switch on your computer and install the software.
- After installing, we have to check the authenticity of the software and for
that, go to the official website of Microsoft.
- In the Microsoft website, click on the “Validate Windows” icon, which is located on the left-hand side of your screen, in a box labeled as “Validate”.
- Now, you should allow your browser to download a plug-in which is required for the validation process. Click “Allow” on the toolbar, which will be displayed at the top of your browser, just below the address bar.
- Check if the plug-in installs automatically. Otherwise, open the downloaded file and then follow the on-screen instructions to successfully install the plug-in.
- Click on “Continue” and then wait till the official Microsoft website reloads.
- Select the “Validate Now” button and wait for the response.
- Click on the “Finish” button when the test has completed, so as to close the window. If the validation process finishes successfully, then your copy of Windows is genuine.
- If the validation process was not successful, then your copy of Windows might not be genuine. If that is the case, follow the instructions from the troubleshooting guide which may help you to check for errors such as an invalid product key entered.
- If you still cannot resolve the problem, try contacting the Microsoft support team for further assistance.
As I have mentioned before, it is really useful if your copy of Windows is genuine. So, follow these steps and ensure you too have a genuine copy of Windows.